Full scientific name:
Hipparchia semele (Linnaeus, 1758)
Flight Period and Life Cycle
1 brood per year. Overwinters as caterpillar.
Distribution in Croatia
Along the coast and on islands too. Check the included map.
External Morphology Characteristics
The upper side of the wings is brown with yellow and orange markings. On the forewing there are two dark spots. Below is a comparison of the underside of the wings of Hipparchia semele, Hipparchia statilinus and Hipparchia fagi/syriaca complex.
(1) The shape of the dark edge of the discal zone of the hindwing is most curved in Hipparchia semele. The shape of the curve marked in magenta is distinctive.
(2) Hipparchia statilinus has the largest dark spot in apex.
(3) The margin of the hindwing is more jagged in Hipparchia statilinus.
(4) The basal and discal zones of the hindwing is brighter in Hipparchia statilinus.
(5) In addition to the dark spot at the apex, in the Hipparchia statilinus species, there are two small white spots.
When lands, it keeps wings closed.
Caterpillar Host Plants
Grassland with bushes on the slopes and rocky terrains. Elevations: 0-1600m.